Recycling and proper disposal of electronic devices, hazardous and non-hazardous household waste, and CFL bulbs plays an important role in keeping harmful chemicals out of landfills and water. 

Why can't I just throw away my computer? 

Broken and obsolete electronics can contain BCPs, lead and mercury. 

Where can I recycle my unwanted or broken electronics? 

  • Holland BPW holds a refridgerator recycle event each spring, where electronics are also able to be dropped off for proper recycling. 
  • MacMedia refurbishes usable computers and accessories to make them available for those who cannot afford a computer. 
  • Goodwill Industries accepts unusable, outdated or broken computers and accessories to ensure they are properly recycled.

Do I have to recycle my old CFL bulbs? 

Yes. Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL) must be disposed of properly because of the small amounts of mercury they contain. 

Where can I recycle my old CFL bulbs? 

You can bring your unbroken CFLs to our HBPW Service Center at 625 Hastings Ave. 

What should I do if a CFL bulb breaks? 

Do not use a standard vacuum cleaner or a broom to clean up. Wearing latex gloves, carefully remove all glass fragments. Keep the area well ventilated to disperse any vapor that may escape. After clean up is finished, place all the fragments and all cleaning materials used into a double plastic sealable bag. Seal bag and put in your outdoor trash. 

Where can I recycle mercury thermometers, paints, expired medication, etc.? 

Items such as needles for personal injections, paints, pesticides, personal medications and mercury thermometers can all be hazardous to the environment or other people if not handled properly. Ottawa County Resource Recovery Centers accept household hazardous waste at no cost to county residents, and non-hazardous recyclables are free. Allegan County programs and drop-offs vary by location. Learn more about medication collection and mercury recycling.