Holland BPW operates a natural gas pipeline, which runs from Overisel township to HBPW's generating station on 48th St. and to the Holland Energy ParkTM. The pipeline is marked in the field with pipeline markers bearing the name and emergency telephone number of Holland BPW. Your safety is important to us; please read the information below.
Natural gas IS flammable and under certain conditions, can be explosive, so it's important for your safety and the safety of others that any leak on the pipeline system be detected and fixed as soon as possible.
Signs of a gas leak may be any of the following:
- By hearing a hissing sound
- By seeing blowing dust, soil or vegetation
- By seeing fire
- By smelling a "natural gas" odor (Note: the pipeline in your area may not have a distinct "rotten egg" smell. Transmission pipelines are not required to add this odor to gas pipelines in certain rural areas)
If you detect gas escaping from the pipeline or related facilities:
- Leave the area immediately
- Call 9-1-1 or Holland BPW at 616.355.1200
- Stay on the line long enough to report your name and address, phone number and the location and description of the leak
Holland BPW personnel will take immediate action to correct the situation and get emergency response agencies to the scene as needed.
Help us prevent damage by making sure you call MISS DIG (811 or 800-482-7171) or online at e-locate (http://www.missdig.net/index.php/members/e-locate) at least 3 working days (but no more than 21 calendar days) prior to performing any excavation activity. We will locate and mark our line prior to your excavating activity at no cost to you!