Service Technician - Water/Wastewater (Full-time)
This position is responsible for residential cross connection inspections, customer metering, and other water / wastewater service work as assigned.
- Inspect residential water customer plumbing (potentially indoor and outdoor) for compliance with the BPW Cross-Connection Control Program. Perform surveys.
- Install, read, repair or remove water meters, water meter radios, and related equipment in residential, commercial and industrial settings.
- Respond to and assist in various customer service needs and issues; providing excellent customer service in all regards.
- Keep current in knowledge and understanding of company procedures, rates, rules, practices, standards, and application of construction materials.
- Measure and record locations of underground utilities, update and maintain records as appropriate.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to provide courteous and accurate information and responses to community members, contractors and various levels of organizational staff.
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts used for measuring and testing.
- Ability to read and interpret utility drawings and specifications.
- Computer proficiency and smartphone proficiency.
- Ability to keep records organized and create detailed notes.
- Residency within 20 miles of municipal boundaries.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License.
- Experience or training in wastewater collection and water distribution, construction and/or maintenance.
- Experience operating metal detector, combustible gas and oxygen deficiency detector, and cross connection control device testing equipment.
Network Specialist (Full-time)
This position is responsible for assisting with LAN/WAN network management and maintenance, design and installation of the HBPW service area network.
- Assist in the implementation, installation, configuration and technical support of network systems that use Ethernet and other network technologies.
- Prepare work orders, material lists and construction drawings for Outside Plant fiber optic infrastructure including entrances to buildings and risers.
- Maintain network documentation using GIS software, spreadsheets, drawings and other means.
- Develop and maintain network monitoring and automation systems.
- Install and maintain GPON network utilizing Calix OLT and ONT network equipment and management systems.
- Assist in the maintenance and operation of Internet edge equipment including DHCP services, BGP routers and firewalls.
- Maintain HBPW radio system and peripherals.
- Maintain city-wide voice mail System.
- Implement, configure and manage PBX, VOIP and related telephone equipment.
- Maintain UPS systems and generators pertinent to LAN/WAN operations, phone system and the radio system.
- Assist in developing standards for wiring, equipment, GIS documentation and system security.
- Assist in the implementation of contracts and invoicing for outside vendors, voice services providers, outside construction crews and advanced phone maintenance contractor.
- Provide on-call support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Electrical/Electronic Engineering or related field; or equivalent education and experience.
- At least two years’ experience in computer networking.
- Working knowledge of network configuration and installation.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent computer skills including office suite applications, server operating systems and network security.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to provide courteous and accurate information and responses to contractors, vendors, customers and various levels of organizational personnel.
- Working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the telecommunications trade.
Plant Operator - Water Reclamation Facility (Full-time)
The Plant Operator for the Water Reclamation Facility (WRF) is responsible for the monitoring and control of pumps, blowers, compressors, chemical feed systems and other treatment plant equipment as necessary to produce high quality effluent water in accordance with the facility’s National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit. The position is also responsible for the processing of sludge in accordance with the facility’s Residuals Management Program (RMP).
- Operate all pumps and equipment as required by demand and clean as necessary to maintain proper operation.
- Collect samples and perform laboratory analysis as necessary for permit compliance and process control.
- Perform a variety of chemical, biological, and bacteriological analysis of wastewater, water, solids, biosolids, and industrial wastewater.
- Adjust and operate sodium hypochlorite and other chemical systems (ferric chloride, sodium bisulfite, etc.)
- Maintain daily reports and operational logs based on meter readings and facility checks.
- Monitor process performance and trends and makes adjustments to controls and equipment as necessary to achieve optimal performance.
- Check all operating equipment and pumps for proper performance.
- Monitor plant performance as required by federal, state, and local permits, laws, regulations, ordinances, and policies.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Knowledge of mathematics.
- Basic computer skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions and to work independently.
- Valid Michigan Driver’s License.
- Associate’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Engineering, Electronics or related field; or equivalent education and experience.
- Knowledge/experience with mechanical equipment and pump operations.
- Knowledge of standard laboratory practices and techniques.
Summer Help (Temporary, Full-time)
These positions are temporary, full-time jobs that will last throughout the summer months and include landscaping and general maintenance work such as lawn mowing, painting, and cleaning. These open positions are located at the Water Treatment Plant, Holland Energy Park, Wastewater Treatment Plant and Water/Wastewater, Warehouse & Facilities Department at the Service Center. Applicants must be at least 18 years old and have a valid Michigan's Drivers License.
Apply for any of these positions online.