Recently, Holland Board of Public Works (HBPW) customers have fallen victim to utility scams involving callers, claiming to represent Holland BPW, demanding payment for a past-due balance through a prepaid card, and threating to shut off service, if the payment is not received.
This is an attempt at fraud. The callers use an untraceable phone service, and ask the customer to stay on the line with them and make payment with a prepaid credit card. Unfortunately, if customers fall victim to this scam, their payment goes to the fraudulent scammer and is not traceable.
order them to buy the pre-paid card on the spot and give them their card information. Unfortunately, if customers fall victim to this scam, this information is not traceable.
To avoid falling for scams, customers should keep the following tips in mind:
1) The caller ID from HBPW for will always read 616.355.1500.
2) HBPW accepts cash, check, money order and credit cards.
3) HBPW customers can also pay at Paul’s Pharmacy and Wal-mart, or use the drop box outside of service center hours.
4) If in doubt, customers can call HBPW at 616.355.1500 to speak to a representative or use the balance inquiry system, available 24 hours a day.
5) Customers can view their account online at hollandbpw.com by clicking on the Customer Connect button at the bottom of the homepage.
Customers should report any suspicious calls or other types of contact not generated by a Holland BPW representative to their local police department.